In yet another move that critics and policy experts cite as dangerously xenophobic, Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump called for a ban on Muslims entering the United States.

He issued a statement yesterday (December 7) calling for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what’s going on.” His proposal would apply to tourists, refugees, asylum seekers and other immigrants.

In an attempt to ground his argument, he cites a June 2015 poll from the Center for Security Policy that says that 25 percent of the 600 U.S. Muslims surveyed think that violence against Americans is justified “as part of the global jihad” and that 51 percent think they should be able to choose between American and Sharia law. The Center for Security Policy’s founder and president is Frank Gaffney, who the Southern Poverty Law Center calls “one of America’s most notorious Islamophobes.”

Trump said in the statement:

Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension. Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine. Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life. If I win the election for President, we are going to Make America Great Again.

Trump previously said that there should be a database to track Syrian refugees in America, and he has insisted on spreading a debunked rumor that New Jersey Muslims celebrated when the Twin Towers fell on 9/11. A spokeswoman told the press that his latest statement was prompted by “death,” in the wake of the mass shooting in San Bernardino, California.

(H/t The New York Times)