On Monday, November 23, a group of organizers delivered a petition with 200,000+ signatures calling that Cuyahoga Country Prosecutor Timothy McGinty recuse himself from the case of the police officers involved in the shooting death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice one year ago.
Rice’s cousin, Latonya Goldsby delivered the petition, and local activists rallied in and around the prosecutor’s office. They also read from a list of demands, which were provided to Colorlines:
- We ask that the Cuyahoga County prosecutor recuse himself from the Tamir Rice investigation and appoint an independent special prosecutor not affiliated with Ohio.
- We are also demanding McGinty issue an apology to the family after the disparaging comments he made in the media.
- We have been diligent in our call for the arrest of the officers involved in the shooting death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice, Officer Loehmann and Officer Garmback. We demand an immediate termination of both officers.
- We are demanding Judge Adrian’s findings of probable cause for an arrest of the officers to be presented to the grand jury.
- We are demanding Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine intervene and appoint a special independent prosecutor due to the prosecutor’s close relationship with Cleveland police.
If the demands are not met by this Wednesday, the group will call for a recall of McGinty and Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine.