Here’s what I’ve been reading up on this morning:
- Amnesty’s annual death penalty report is out; the US remains the only country in the Americas that executes people, and is fourth on the worldwide executors list.
- Meanwhile, Japan frees the world’s longest held death-row inmate.
- 90 people are still missing as a result of the Washington mud slide.
- Not sure I can take Nate Silver seriously anymore after reading this.
- The GDP expands higher than expected to 2.6 percent in the fourth quarter.
- And jobless claims fall lower than expected.
- Preparing for its IPO, cloud computing is thinking outside of the, um, Box.
- C.R.E.A.M., get the money. Wu Tang will sell one copy of its new album that you can pay to listen to at a museum.
- Live better, play union. The NLRB confirms that college football players can unionize.
- Thanks to federal public funding, Chad Trujillo observes a planet on the edges of our solar system–80 AU away in the Oort cloud.