In response to the continued legislative attacks on abortion rights and general reproductive health, a coalition of 80 advocacy organizations created a way forward for policymakers.
The Blueprint for Sexual and Reproductive Health, Rights and Justice was released Monday (July 15), and it’s described as “a proactive policy agenda to advance sexual and reproductive health in the United States and around the world.” The document offers legislative solutions to improve access to health care.
The document is based on five principles:
- Ensure sexual and reproductive health care is accessible to all people.
- Ensure discriminatory barriers in health care are eliminated.
- Ensure research and innovation advance sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice now and in the future.
- Ensure health, rights, justice and wellness for all communities.
- Ensure judges and executive officials advance sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice.
The document offers nine policy goals based on these principles. These include comprehensive sexual and reproductive health care services for all people, regardless of income and immigration status; unobstructed access to abortion, including self-managed abortion; and a more effective response to the global HIV/AIDS crisis.
From the document:
This Blueprint represents the future we want to live in where each individual has sexual and reproductive autonomy over their own body. It provides a playbook on how to get there. And it is drafted with the expectation that it will be implemented as soon as we have a supportive Congress and administration. That future is coming, and we are ready.
Read the entire Blueprint here.