It has been more than three years since #BlackLivesMatter became a rallying cry for a movement. While centering Black communities and resistance, #BlackLivesMatter galvanized not only Black organizers, it challenged people of all races to consider, “Whose side are you on?” Despite reactionary claims of divisiveness, communities of many races replied, “We’re on the freedom side!”
In this #FacingRace plenary moderated by Michelle Alexander, author of “The New Jim Crow,” a multiracial group of activists will discuss actions, challenges and opportunities from the multiracial movements that have emerged. Panelists in alphabetical order are:
- Chris Crass, antiracist author
- Alicia Garza, cofounder of #BlackLivesMatter
- Judith LeBlanc, director of Native Organizers Alliance
- Zon Moua, director of youth organizing at Freedom Inc.
- Isa Noyola, Transgender Law Center and El/La para TransLatinas national advocate